Thursday, June 17, 2004

robert forster - 2541

I always like bands who know when to get off the stage. Encores shouldn't be compulsory and neither should long sets. We're back on the quality vs quantity tip again. This means it's acceptable for Bruce Springsteen to do 4 hour sets, but the Jesus and Mary Chain's early 15 minute sets were no less worthy.

I bring this up because I watched Peter Gabriel's Growing Up Live DVD yesterday which was filmed in Milan last year but was, of course, identical to the show I watched at Wembley last week. Now I understand that the logistics surrounding such a show dictate that a lot of things remain the same across dates. I also understand that many fans hear rumours re the show's content and want to share in the same spectacle. However, when even the song intros and 'ad libs' are more or less scripted then surely some of the magic is lost.

It's always really nice to go to shows and see artists inject unexpected cover versions into their sets, even better when this it in response to an ad hoc request from the floor (e.g. Richard Thompson's cover of Substitute at his recent Manchester show), and shows like PG's Growing Up simply can't accommodate this.

Anyway, time for a list:

Flaming Lips - Can't Get You Out Of My Head
New Order - Sister Ray
Pixies - Lady In The Radiator Song
Sugar - You Really Got Me
Hüsker Dü - Eight Miles High
Laptop - It's Still Rock'n'Roll To Me
Divine Comedy - The Model

I could obviously go on as could you.