Saturday, November 06, 2004

the mighty fall



The above view is normally marred by a fridge or a three piece suite. Fly-tipping is something of an art-form round here. Mind you, the local scum aren't as proficient as those in other parts. I was in Liverpool the other week where the local povs had taken time out to do some fly-tipping with style. In the middle of a roundabout was a three piece suite, coffee table, tv and standard lamp, set out just as they must have been in their previous abode. I felt like calling Rachel Whiteread up and telling her she'd missed a trick with this one.

The South's new CD arrived last week and is a set text in the art of the cover version. It's had plenty of press so I'll go no further. However, I'll trouble you with a few other covers that are bothering me right now (in a good way). Mary Lou Lord 's version of Richard Thompson's 1952 Vincent Black Lightning is a pleasure. Get it from iTunes. I can't work out whether or not Minnie Driver has murdered Springsteen's Hungry Heart but it's worth a listen (iTunes again). Back to Richard Thompson and he makes Britney's Oops I Did It Again all his own. It's on 1000 Years of Popular Music available from his site. Lastly, Feist do Ron Sexsmith's Secret Heart on Let It Die.

I saw that Apple launched a U2 branded iPod. What a sickening thought. Still, at least you'll be able to keep decent music on it as well as U2. Can I just acknowledge the prescience of the late John Peel for recognising how dire U2 were/are from day one and for never, ever, ever playing their turgid crap on his show.

Now, here's another one from Napalm Death.